Category Archives: Gay News
16 REASONS WHY NOW IS THE BEST TIME
TO VISIT PUERTO VALLARTA
As the Peso lowers, bargain hunters
will find great deals in Paradise
With the Mexican Peso at an all-time low, with average exchange rate between $15-$17 pesos to the US dollar, Americans and Canadians looking for last minute deals to Puerto Vallarta will find that this is a travelers market.Puerto Vallarta is one of Mexico’s top tourism destination. Known for its 100-year-old historic center, the heart of the destination, it is alive with authentic culture, art, nightlife and a range of award-winning traditional and international restaurants.
Beyond the downtown area, Puerto Vallarta makes for a vacation full of activities that all can enjoy. From strolling along Puerto Vallarta’s lively Malecón (beach boardwalk) while relishing in free outdoor live entertainment like the nightly Papantla flying dancers, to riding zip lines across tree tops or swimming with dolphins and sea lions, taking a cooking class at one of the traditional restaurants or enjoying a guided tour of the local art galleries, visitors of all ages can share memorable moments during their fun-filled visit.
FOLLOWING ARE 16 BARGAINS TO ENJOY NOW
- Dinner at Top Restaurants – Puerto Vallarta is home to over 300 restaurants ranging from internationally renowned establishments to mom-and-pap eateries offering dishes that go back generations. Dinner for two, including a three-course meal and a bottle of fine wine, at top iconic restaurants like La Palapa, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton favorite beach-front eatery, where they brought all their celebrity friends to party, El Arrayan, famous for its exquisite traditional Mexican cuisine, or Barcelona Tapas, with its grand view of the Bay of Banderas and the city’s Downtown area, will cost less than $120 USD.
- Artisan Tequilas – Many ranches and haciendas around Puerto Vallarta offer half day and full day activities including horseback riding, hiking, quad bike excursions and a tour of the tequila plantation and distillery; including tasting of top artisan tequilas and the local raicilla, a spirit of pre-Hispanic origin made from the agave root. Top quality tequila and raicilla will set one back around $20 USD www.haciendadonaengracia.com / www.haciendaeldivisadero.com
- VIP Beach Clubs – Enjoy the beach with plenty of pampering and luxury offered by one of Puerto Vallarta’s beach clubs. Mantamar Beach club has day passes for as low as $350 pesos ($20 USD), with $250 pesos (nearly $15 USD) counted as credit towards food and drinks.
- Learn Spanish – Puerto Vallarta is a college town, home to international universities and private schools. A two-week Spanish immersion class at one of the many language centers located in Puerto Vallarta, which also offers the opportunity to learn about Mexican culture and traditions, costs as little as $150 USD a week. www.spanishexperiencecenter.
- Artworks for Collectors – From the many sculptures that line its Malecon (beach boardwalk) to the fine art galleries that house national and international works Puerto Vallarta is known for embracing the arts. Visitors can explore the town’s numerous arts offerings on the guided ArtWalk tour which operates daily from October to May, making stops at 15 local galleries in the historic downtown area. The ArtWalk is free and most galleries; like Galeria Colectika have not adjusted the prices on art pieces; providing visitors a great opportunity to acquire amazing works of art for a steal.
- San Sebastian del Oeste – A 90-minute drive east of Puerto Vallarta sends visitors back in time to a 17th century silver mining village nestled in the Sierra Madre Mountains. This sleeping town of 600 inhabitants is a colonial gem, filled with historic sites and great places to eat. Stoll around town at leisure or take guided tour. A round-trip taxi ride from Puerto Vallarta and back costs around USD $90.
- Your Own Private Beach – For travelers wishing to explore the natural oasis and warm Pacific Ocean waters in a secluded setting, Puerto Vallarta offers a variety of ways to enjoy their pristine secluded beaches. Take a round-trip water taxi ride out of Los Muertos Beach to secluded coves or isolated beaches like Colomitos, Las Animas, Boca de Tomatlan, Majahuitas, Quimixto, Playa El Caballo and many others. $20 USD per person.
- Charter a Private Boat. Spend the day at sea, snorkeling, fishing, swimming, island hopping or just sun bathing on your own private boat. Prices start at $866 for 8 hours www.pvmikesfishing.com/
- Viva Tequila Tour – Enjoy a Tequila tour and a live performance of traditional colorful Mexican folklore for about $60 USD a person. www.viviatequila.mx
- Boutique Hotels – Puerto Vallarta’s Downtown and Zona Romantica area is one of the most charming and authentic locations along Mexico’s Pacific Coast, teaming with enchanting boutique hotels, each with its own charm, unique personality and history; offering the warm and friendly personalized service Puerto Vallarta is reputed for. Rates are as low as $40 USD per night. www.visitpuertovallarta.com
- Mex-Ology: Tequila, Tacos and Mexican Cocktails Tour – Enjoy authentic Puerto Vallarta culture and dining on a unique taco tour with Vallarta Food Tours. Also a fun way to see the Downtown area and a great start to a night of festivities. www.puertovallartafoodtours.
- Become a Taco Expert – There are a couple of signs visitors must look out for before buying a taco. 1. Is the location popular? If you see a line of locals waiting to eat at the establishment that’s generally a good sign. 2. When buying tacos from a local street vendor make sure the food is served in plates covered with a plastic for hygiene. 3. There should always be at least two people working the stand, one to serve food and the other to handle payments. Try Ceviches el Güero or Tacos el Cunado where a taco costs less than $1 USD.
- Brunch at Canopy River – Take a ride to the middle of the Sierra Madre and enjoy a hearty Sunday Brunch amidst the varied and lush tropical flora and fauna of the rainforest surrounding Puerto Vallarta for less than $20 USD per person. www.canopytourspuertovallarta.
- Walk the Malecon – The Malecon is Puerto Vallarta’s heart and where everyone, both locals and tourists, gather for morning jogs, open air yoga classes and daytime or sunset strolls. It also has features some of the most delicious traditional street food, from tacos to corn on the cob with mayonnaise and chili, each for less than $1 USD.
- Colorful Local Celebrations – Visiting Puerto Vallarta during any of its local festivals or celebrations that take place monthly, presents a culturally rewarding experience and a chance to see the city through the cultural traditions of its people. From the Day of the Dead to the Gourmet Festival, most celebrations have activities that are free of charge. www.visitpuertovallarta.com
- Puerto Vallarta Tourism Board has been working with all its trade partners to offer exclusive discounts when booking is made on their site: www.visitpuertovallarta.com. Visitors can find discounts on activities and stays for as high as 50% off.
THANKSGIVING WEEKEND! PARADISO INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
Cancun, Quintana Roo – Wed, Nov 25, 2015 10:00 PM – Mon, Nov 30, 2015 7:00 AM
Paradiso International Festival, Mexico’s biggest gay and lesbian dance music
festival, celebrates in Cancún, Quintana Roo, on the Riviera Maya with 12 special
parties from November 25th. to 30th. Attracting thousands of attendees from
across the globe, Paradiso International Festival promises an unforgettable
Thanksgiving weekend, with a stellar artist lineup and lots of surprises in store
for this world-class house music event.
MORE INFO HERE
No one really knows who was in their hotel room before them. Or what kind of mess they made. Maybe it was a bachelor party and the boys got drunk and threw up. Maybe it was used for prostitution and all the sexually transmitted diseases it brings. Yes it happens, especially in the best hotels. Or maybe someone got a really bad virus infection. Worse somebody died in the room. Hotel germs are a fact of life. With so many people using these rooms, hotel germs will tend to be higher than in your house.
The important question is did the cleaning staff really clean everything properly? The TV remote control, the bed light lamp switch, the toilet seat and handle. Cleaning staff are under enormous pressure to clean fast. On average, housekeepers clean 13 to 15 rooms a day, but it can be as high as 30 at some hotels. And there is no universal standard for cleaning hotel rooms.
Like our hospitals, hotels are becoming places where anti biotic resistant bacteria are beginning to thrive. Why? Because of the constant use of commercial cleaning agents combined with heavy use of antibiotics in our meat production systems have created these super bugs. Hotel rooms are places where a huge number of people from all over the country and World bring their own strains of bacteria. And if they bring that strain of disinfectant/antibiotic resistant bacteria you are screwed. As the video below shows, staff are also using sponges and toilet brushes to clean other surfaces which adds to the problem. Fecal contamination from toilet brushes can be deadly, especially if they are used to scrub surfaces other than the toilet.
Just because your room looks spic-n-span doesn’t necessarily make it so. Our friends at Oyster.com dish the dirt on hotel cleaning practices and offer tips on how to freshen up after checking in.
First of all, let’s just start out by saying that not every hotel room is secretly swarming with skin cells of past guests, E. coli, and/or unidentified bodily fluids. Every hotel has different protocol, schedules, and cleaning staff that determine just how clean your temporary home is going to be. We aren’t dumb (and neither are you); we know that not all maids are spending hours scrubbing, buffing, and spraying down every surface and crevice of our hotel rooms. But after digging, we uncovered some pretty dirty secrets of hotel “cleaning” practices, hiding in the sheets, on your pillows, across the bathroom counter, in the glasses you drink from — pretty much everywhere. Think you’re better off not knowing about how dirty the bedsheets are or what infectious bacteria is colonizing on that remote control? Trust us, it’s better to know — and know how to deal with it. And we’re here to help.
Glasses and Mugs. Tv remotes and telephones. Bedding and more!
READ ABOUT IT AT JETSETTER.
PLOOKING FOR A DESTINATION WEDDING?
COSTA SUR RESORT & SPA WILL PAY FOR IT!
Puerto Vallarta’s Popular Wedding Resort Splurges on Guests with Free Wedding with Booking
Costa Sur Resort & Spa has launched its “All Inclusive Free Wedding Package” giving away most elements of a wedding with a 10 room booking. – This hotel and resort is GORGEOUS! We have toured the property and the it is a spectacular setting right on the ocean.
Located in Mexico’s Pacific Coast destination of Puerto Vallarta, is one of the destination’s most popular wedding resorts, already hosting hundreds of weddings year-round, including over 200 LGBT ceremonies.
The property has a full in-house wedding staff and able to provide not only a secluded beach-front wedding but all the amenities needed for a world-class wedding.
The hotel’s wedding package promotion is based on a 10 room booking for a minimum of 2 nights; Costa Sur will give the happy couple a complimentary wedding banquet, Costa Sur Resort & Spa special table setting with round tables and Tiffany chairs and 4 hours of open bar, including a sparkling wine toast.
In addition, the couple will also receive 2 Nights All Inclusive complimentary accommodations, Upgrade to suite and a full wedding coordinator for any additional needs.
On the night of the wedding, the couple’s room will be decorated with the resort’s signature romantic setting rich with chocolate dipped strawberries and sparkling white wine.
Puerto Vallarta has the sun, the beach, and the beautiful blue ocean year round. It’s the perfect mix with plenty of romantic beachfront backdrops, as well as a very fun, charming local Mexican village, just 10 minutes from the resort.
For reservations please visit www.costasurpuertovallarta.com
DAVEY WAVEY and a couple friends head to PALM SPRINGS to check out the
Then they have some margaritas and check out the gay club Hunters.
Just in time to book a warm winter getaway, JetBlue Airways has announced it will begin a seasonal flight schedule to include the return of a nonstop flight from JFK to PSP starting January 14, 2016.
The new flight will operate five times a week, Thursday through Monday until May 1, 2016. Seats are on sale today with introductory fares of $99 one way. This is the ninth destination in California for JetBlue.
“The City of Palm Springs continues to experience a tremendous renaissance and we are delighted to welcome JetBlue to Palm Springs International Airport,” said Mayor Steve Pougnet. “Their arrival is just more proof that Palm Springs is the premiere resort destination in Southern California and beyond.”
This sun drenched desert oasis vacation destination is returning to its glory days as a Hollywood playground, a central gathering spot for modern architectural design aficionados, musicians and artists drawn by nature’s inspiration, and an increasing crowd of cool-seekers.
It could be the surge of super hip (and becoming super large) events like the Palm Springs International Film Festival, Modernism Week, and Coachella and Stagecoach Music Festivals. Or the openings of incredibly unique museums such as the Architecture and Design Center in downtown Palm Springs, or nearby Sunnylands, with an public garden and walking paths inspired by Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings.
Perhaps it’s the parties… pool parties in the summer, cocktail parties by the pool in winter. Mai Tais at tiki bars. S’mores by firepits in the evening under the stars. Bachelorette parties abound. This is where people get away to.
Maybe it’s the Hollywood glitz and glamour. The Rat Pack lived, loved and played here…it doesn’t get any better than that. Stars such as Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope and Lucille Ball all built homes here (that you can now rent!), adding a touch of stardust. Wearing a favorite vintage outfit, shopping for midcentury modern treasures in Uptown Design District, dining alfresco in downtown bistros under the warm sun…now that’s a vacation.
But frantic and hurried it is not. The pace is relaxed, the colors are saturated by the warm desert light, and the living is easy. Nestled at the base of the majestic San Jacinto Mountains, the City of Palm Springs is the ancestral home of the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians. The streets, lined with palm trees, are perfect for exploring boutique shops, art galleries and museums while soaking up the warm sunshine.
WHERE TO STAY?
INNdulge, of course!
Our favorite place to stay in Palm Springs! Whether you want to socialize with friends or spend time with someone special – we love this place!
Book now for the winter and grab a $99 a night room special!
- 24 Poolside Rooms & Garden Suites
- Complimentary Continental Breakfast
- Large Heated 24-hr Pool
- Pool chiller during summer months
- In room DVD Players
- DVD Library
- 12 Man 24-hr Jacuzzi
- Wi-Fi Property Wide
- Full Kitchens in all Suites
- King Sized Beds
- Coffee Makers
- Hair Dryers
- On Site Gym
I myself, have no desire to visit countries where I have to walk on eggshells and pretend to be straight. I do not want to worry while traveling that my life could potentially be in danger.
A group calling itself the Young Islamic Defense has been canvasing the city of Ankara, Turkey with posters that call for anti-LGBT violence. The poster (pictured above) quotes a hadith, saying “If you see someone engaged in the dirty business of the tribe of Lot, kill the doer and the done both.” – Ankara is said to be “gay friendly”.
Via the internet, the Young Islamic Defense has defended its call to action, saying:
in order to show that Islam absolutely does not allow this situation, we have shared this hadith… Our wish is to learn the attitude Islam demands from us in light of the Qu’ran and the Sunnah, instead of the hodjas who cannot shout out what is rightful on television.
This news comes on the heels of recent violence against LGBT people in Turkey — when in late June Istanbul police attacked the city’s pride march with water cannons, tear gas and rubber bullets.
[Story and Image via LGBTI News in Turkey]
The Virgin Islands are the western island group of the Leeward Islands, which are the northern part of the Lesser Antilles, and form the border between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Politically, the eastern islands form the British Virgin Islands and the western ones form the Virgin Islands of the United States. The British Virgin Islands is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom comprising approximately 60 islands and cays including Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and Anegada.
The U.S. Virgin Islands is one of five inhabited insular areas of the United States, along with American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico. The territory comprises a number of islands including St. Croix, St. John, St. Thomas and Water Island.
Previously, Virgin Islands Senate President Neville James raised eyebrows for his statement issued after the SCOTUS ruling saying “I’ve always known marriage to be an act between a man and a woman. Notwithstanding the Supreme Court decision, that is how it will remain. Call me old-fashioned, but it is what it is.”
Seems the islands have had a change of heart….St Croix Source reports….Gov. Kenneth E. Mapp on Thursday signed an executive order bringing Virgin Island’s law into conformance with the Supreme Court’s ruling on marriage equality, Government House announced. The measure now awaits the signature of Senate President Neville James, who is acting lieutenant governor while Lt. Gov. Osbert Potter is out of the territory.
Mapp announced June 30 the Virgin Islands law defining marriage as only a union between a man and woman was null and void, and promised to issue an executive order to the effect.
“This ruling does not require any minister or person of faith to marry anyone they do not wish to marry or to change any religious documents in any way,” the governor said. “But the ruling does affect the behavior of civil society and, as governor of the Virgin Islands, I am responsible for the conduct and behavior of the public sector.”
“Accordingly I will be issuing an executive order which will set forth the parameters that will allow any and all legitimate marriage licenses in the nation to be recognized in the Virgin Islands.”
About 12 weeks away!
It’ll be here before you know it!
GAY DAYS ANAHEIM @ Disneyland!
This is one of our favorite parties – and favorite cities!
Gay Days Anaheim 2015
October 2 – 4
The schedule is awesome this year and you can pick and choose which parties and events you wish to attend. Coco Peru will be back this year and the fabulous WILLAM from Ru Pauls drag race fame. The parties run Friday thru Sunday but I encourage you stay a few more days. There is SO MUCH to see and do in Anaheim and Orange county. CHECK OUT THESE PAST ARTICLES! Shopping, dining, fresh air, art galleries and ocean waves. The historic Packing District showcases culinary offerings and events in a communal gathering space in the heart of downtown Anaheim, and celebrates their one year anniversary next month. You could spend an entire day here.
Discounted Park Tickets Available Now! Click here
Check out the Schedule of Gay Days Anaheim events HERE
Introducing the Gay Days Anaheim Concierge! Click for more information
If you’re not already on the Private Email List, sign up now!
The fifth edition of the Prague Pride festival will be held from Monday 10 August till Sunday 16 August 2015.
This years slogan will be “We all have a rainbow inside”, visualized by thermal camera pictures. With this theme Prague Pride invites everybody, straight and gay, to join the festival and support that we are all equal. The full festival program is just coming together and looks better than ever before.
The Pride Village will be the main meeting point of the festival, located on the beautiful Strelecky island in the middle of the Vltava river right next to the famous Charles Bridge. The Pride Village is not just a community place, where you can get general information about the festival and meet Czech LGBT organizations, but it is also a place where you can watch LGBT movies, play sports, relax and enjoy various performances.
Of course Prague Pride would not be complete without its famous parties. Dirty Dirty Dancing on Friday 14 August will welcome London’s top DJs Josh Caffe and Borja Peňa. The official After Party on Saturday 15 August in club Roxy will host Hoxton Whores from the UK, Marcelo de Lazari from Brazil, Jonty Skrufff & Fidelity Kastrow from Berlin, Michael Burian from Prague and many, many more.
On a more serious matter Prague Pride will offer space for debates and culture in the Pride House and Pride Theatre. It will bring some top artistic events to the city. Prague Pride visitors are given an extra week of the exhibition of the contemporary British artist Roger Hiorns at the Rudolfinum gallery . The Wenceslas Square will host the photo exhibition “Homophobia in Russia” by the World Press Photo 2015 winner Mads Nissen. On Friday 14 August the London Gay Men’s Chorus will perform at the National Theatre, while on that same day the Pride Village will see the world premiere of the dance Dogtown by Israeli choreographer Nadar Rosano.
One of the highlights of Prague Pride will be the Pride Voices event on Wednesday 12 August, when inspirational speakers will share their personal stories. This year Prague Pride is proud to announce that among the guests will be former Icelandic prime minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, Dutch olympic medal winner Johan Kenkhuis, World Press Photo 2014 winner Jana Ašenbrennerová, Palestinian protagonist of the documentary ‘The invisible men’ Abdul Rawashda and Mr. Gay World Klaus Burkart from Germany. On Thursday 13 August the Business Forum welcomes BBC economics anchor, Evan Davis and Lord Browne, former BP CEO and author of “The Glass Closet”.
The main event of the Prague Pride festival will be the parade on Saturday 15 August. The march will start on the famous Wenceslas Square in the heart of Prague and then proceed through the historical city center all the way to Letna park where a big outdoor party with several DJ stages and an information market will be held.
GAY TRAVEL HOT DEAL!
Hosted every Labor Weekend, Southern Decadence is the 5th largest event in the city following Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, Essence Fest, and French Quarter Fest. 2014 brought in over 160,000 participants.
It’s not to early to start planning for the giant 44th Southern Decadence celebration of LGBT life, music and culture. CALL David now FOR THE BEST DEALS! 1-800-942-1280!
SUMMER $99 SPECIAL
(not available during holiday weekends).
The May 5th 2015 update to the US Department’s Travel Warning and the June 1st Travel Advisory by the Canadian Government to Mexico do not include a warning to the city of Puerto Vallarta.
There is no travel warning to Puerto Vallarta. The U.S. Department’s Travel Warning as it pertains to the State of Jalisco highlights rural highways and areas that border states to the south, almost 250 miles from Puerto Vallarta or the distance between New York and Boston; or Los Angeles to Las Vegas.
Similarly, Canada’s Travel Advisory asks that visitors to the State of Jalisco “Stay in tourist areas and follow local media closely. If you do venture outside urban areas, exercise extreme caution, including on major highways. Avoid traveling at night. It is not safe to travel near the border with Michoacán.”
Read more here.
Airlines offering discount flights to gay people!
An airline has infuriated Republicans – by offering to fly gay people to Pride events across the US for a discount.
Alaska Airlines – which carries the name of the state known more for being the home of anti-gay politician Sarah Palin than for inclusiveness – made the offer as part of an ‘LGBT travel’ stunt.
Though it doesn’t exclusively apply to LGBT people, the airline has discounted flights to Pride events in a number of cities across the US.
It offers flights at a discount to Pride events including LA, New Orleans and Boston – in a move that has infuriated conservatives in the country.
Alaska Air said: “At Alaska, we have been longtime supporters of the LGBT community and remain committed to a more equitable society. We were elated when the State of Washington expressed the same commitment by legalizing marriage for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
“To show our continued support we are encouraging the LGBT community to travel, not only to Seattle, but to Pride events and gay friendly destinations all over the country.
“With that aim, we have put together this section of our site to highlight destinations that support marriage equality, Pride celebrations, and other things of interest to the LGBT community.”
Some have decried it as “discrimination” in favour of LGBT people, with one right-wing blogger claiming: “The establishment campaign to promote disease-spreading and culture-corroding perversity has reached the point that Alaska Airlines now implies discounts for homosexuals.
A gay couple is accused United Continental of “extreme and outrageous” conduct over an alleged incident involving a sex toy taped to their luggage, which the men say caused them severe emotional trauma. Back in 2011.
Christopher Bridgeman and Martin Borger of Norfolk, Va., are seeking damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress, invasion of privacy and negligence in a lawsuit filed in 2012.
The incident allegedly happened on May 21, 2011, as Bridgeman and Borger were returning from a vacation in Costa Rica. The men — who have been together for almost nine years — were flying back to Norfolk on Continental with a 90-minute layover at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. (Continental merged with United in 2010.)
Once they landed in Houston, the men collected their checked bags, went through customs, rechecked their luggage and boarded their flight to Virginia without incident.
But when they arrived in Norfolk and went to the baggage claim area, the couple discovered a sex toy had been taken from one of their bags, covered in a “greasy foul-smelling substance” and “taped prominently” to the top of the bag, according to the lawsuit.
United countered that it has conducted a thorough investigation and determined that there is no support for the allegations, spokeswoman Christen David said in a statement.
A district judge initially dismissed the case, but it was reinstated by an appeals court. Continental’s new parent company — United Continental Holdings — has continued to unsuccessfully attempt to get it thrown out. So now it goes to trial!